The Samuel Kolstein Violin Shop was founded by Samuel Kolstein in 1943 as a Violin and Bow making establishment. Original locations were in Brooklyn, New York and later at 55th Street and 6th Avenue in New York City.
Mr. Samuel Kolstein was a primary bow restorer for the Wurlitzer establishment from the late 1940’s through the mid 1950’s accomplishing much bow repair, restoration, and duplication for the famed Wurlitzer’s “who’s who” clientele. Mr. Kolstein, also conducted his own shop business of fine making and instrument restoration with an international staff of luthiers.
In 1958, Samuel Kolstein Violinshop relocated to Merrick, New York, on Long Island with Barrie Kolstein joining the shop in 1971. In 1974 the Kolstein shop reorganized forming two divisions:
- Kolstein Music, Inc.
The parent corporation and manufacturing division that specializes in Kolstein product development, manufacturing, and worldwide distribution.
- Samuel Kolstein & Son, Ltd.
The fine arts division dealing with sales, making, and restoration of string instruments and bows.
The two companies had offices and facilities in Bellmore and Merrick, New York. In 1980 the Kolsteins relocated to their present address at 795 Foxhurst Road, Baldwin, New York.
Samuel Kolstein & Son, Ltd. has greatly expanded it staff and facilities since the relocation in 1980. An international staff of expert restoration artists, all working under the supervision of Barrie Kolstein, cater to the requirements of the upper echelon player as well as the demanding needs of the aspiring student.
Samuel Kolstein & Son, Ltd. has made a commitment to Musical Education throughout the world, supporting youth orchestras, lecturing, and expanding our educational division under the guidance of Mr. Kolstein and Mr. Jacob Cralidis. In September 1999 Kolstein & Son, Ltd. opened a new facility, adjoining our present location, to house the newly expanded Kolstein Educational Division.