Nicolo Amati Grand Pattern Violin
Attributed to the workshop of Nicolo Amati
Made in Cremona, Italy in the mid 17th century
The violin bears the label within dated 1647, states the violin was made by Nicolo Amati with the exception of the top (the work of Vincentius Auscentio 1783) and scroll
The label within reads:
Vincencluis Astensio, Presbiter
Nicolaus Amatus, Cremonen
Filacantonii Nopco Fecit 1647
Coojeruit Domini 1783
Repaired & Improved By August Gemunder and Sons
September 1897 New York
This fine example of Amati master workmanship has full certification from:
Top table is two-piece wide vertical grained spruce
Back table is one-piece highly flamed maple
Ribs of matching maple to that of the back table
Scroll of highly flamed maple with a moderately flamed maple neck graft – both of a later period
Varnish is orange-brown
This exceptional maker’s violin has a strong, projecting sound with characteristics typical of Golden period Cremona instruments
The instrument was fully restored to mint condition by Samuel Kolstein & Son, Ltd.
Overall body length: 351 mm.
Width at the upper bout: 166 mm.
Width at the center bout: 115 mm.
Width at the lower bout: 206 mm.
The provenance of this most amazing violin is as follows:
The owner of this violin was Kapell Meister of the Cathedral of Guadalajara around the year 1860 and considered the best violinist in Mexico. When the Emperor Maximilian arrived in the Mexico in 1864, Maestro Balcazar (the aforementioned violinist) was called by him to for a chamber group for his wife, the Empress Carlota, as they had in Austria. This violin was brought from Europe expressly for this purpose.
Years after the death of Maestro Balcazar, the violin was found in the hands of a Physician who had cared for Balcazar and to whom he willed the violin. The doctor was an amateur violinist and music lover. The violin was purchased in 1896 from the widow of Dr. Oliva by Don Francesco de la Cruz, Consul of Belgium in Guadalajara. He took the violin to New York in a relative poor state of repair.
It was repaired in New York by August Germunder and Sons. Mr Germunder expressed a great interest in buying the violin at that time. The neck was replaced (it had a short neck , said to be the original and no other part of the violin was replaced.
Mr. de la Cruz had many subsequent offers for the sale of the violin, but had not wanted to part with it. After his death, the violin remained in the hands of Sra. Dona Teresa Castano, vda. de la Cruz, residing in the city of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
The violin was subsequently owned by Mr. Jose de Jesus Valdes, a distinguished Mexican attorney and music lover. At his death, the violin remained in the hands of his sister, Mrs. Luz Maria Valdes de Cervi residing in Mexico City.
The violin was purchased by. Mr. Samuel Kolstein of New York in March of 1982.