Ferdinando Alberti Bass Violin
7/8 Size, Violin-cornered, Round-back Model
Made in Milan, Italy Circa 1740
- Top table is two piece medium vertical grain spruce
- Back table is 5 piece sectional table of slight figured maple
- Ribs of matching character maple to that of the back table, with the upper left rib bout of a later period
- Scroll is original of slight figured maple with an extra volute and distinctive carving to the scroll
- The neck is a slight figured maple neck graft
- Gears are of a later period, as this bass was originally a three string design
- Varnish is a beautiful light brownish amber color, most transparent in nature
The Bass is in excellent condition, fully restored in the Kolstein shop
with a deep lush quality sound…very even in all registers and extremely strong projection.
- Overall body length: 45 1/8 in.
- Width at the upper bout: 20 1/2 in.
- Width at the center bout: 14 5/8 in.
- Width at the lower bout: 28 1/8 in.
- Mensure (string length): 41 3/4 in.