Matteo Goffriller Bass Violin
7/8 Size, Violin-cornered, Round-back Model
Made in Venice, Italy c. 1708
- Top table is a four-piece plate of fine vertical grained spruce
- Back table is a two-piece plate of slab-cut poplar
- Ribs of matching poplar to that of the back table
- Original scroll of poplar with a moderately flamed maple neck graft
- Individual brass tuning gears mounted on decorative brass plates
- The light brownish amber varnish is one of the most breathtaking examples of Matteo Goffriller craftsmanship; completely transparent with great depth
- Fully restored to spectacular condition
- Overall body length: 44 1/4 in.
- Width at the upper bout: 20 5/8 in.
- Width at the center bout: 15 in.
- Width at the lower bout: 27 1/4 in.
- Mensure (string length): 41 3/4 in.